Thursday, June 22, 2017

Introducing My July '17 Camp NaNo Project // Behind the Velvet Curtain


It's that time of year again! It seems like just yesterday that I was doing Camp NaNo...but it's actually been two months since it ended?? Somebody please explain this phenomenon.

In light of the fact that July and Camp NaNo are almost upon us, I've decided to introduce my project. YES, I'M DOING IT EARLY YAY ME. ("Early" as in nine days before July, rather than one. :P)

July Camp is definitely really special to me. Last July was my first time ever doing a NaNoWriMo event of any kind, and I completely fell in love with it. I had a FANTASTIC cabin (and I only knew, like, two of the people in there when I joined XD), and it really stirred up the creative juices for my story. I started a fresh draft of Moonlit Mirror with no clue what I was doing. And thus my glitter-coated, squirrel-ridden story began. ;)

As is my tendency, I didn't commit to doing Camp until about a week or two before. *rolls eyes* SERIOUSLY. We all know I'm going to end up doing it. :P My goal is a little lower this time around at 20k, mostly because I have two trips planned for July so it's going to be pretty busy. I might end up writing more than 20k? Or not? I honestly have no clue. I just decided to set it lower so there wouldn't be any stress. (HAHAHA that's a good one, Mary. No stress. Hilarious.)

AHEM. Anywayyyy, back to the main point of this post. *reroutes train of thought*

Would you all like to see what I'm doing for Camp?

Yes?

No?

Maybe?

*crickets chirp in the distance*

Oh well, you're going to find out even if you don't want to. :P

Behind the Velvet Curtain




Some curtains should never be lifted.


Adelia is counting down the days until she is finally free of her job as the magician's assistant. And when a young journalist rolls into town with the offer of a lifetime, she dares to hope her dream will be realized. The only thing that might shatter her hopes is the unusual mirror in her possession. When the mirror shows more than just her reflection, Adelia begins to wonder if legerdemain extends past the stage.

Life is determined to make Theodore bleed. One morning, he wakes up in an orphanage with no memory of how he got there. He runs away to join the circus and there discovers his two passions in life: the violin and performing. But with his impaired eyesight, he has no hopes of pursuing a professional career. He has no memory of his past and no prospects for the future . . . until a woman in an airship shows up at his door.

They say the world is a stage. But in the mist-shrouded society of England, some curtains should remain closed.


/ / /

*makes strangled squealing sounds* I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS STORY. I actually think the synopsis turned out great. And I'm not going to lie, writing synopses is so much fun for me. I don't know why, haha.

Technically, I "should be" editing Moonlit Mirror or finishing The Scent of the Sun (which I didn't finish last month as I planned). BUT WHO CARES. I got this story nugget, and I couldn't resist the temptation. :P

Behind the Velvet Curtain is the tentative title right now. I quite like it, but I'm not sure if it's totally what I'm looking for. It's going to be a historical/steampunk/fantasy novel...kinda difficult to describe. XD And and and! IT'S MY SNOW WHITE RETELLING!! Yes, I'm planning on entering the awesome Rooglewood Press contest. I know it doesn't seem very much like Snow White, but trust me, you'll recognize some of the elements from the story if you read it. ;)

I will hopefully be writing the entire novella during July, but I'm thinking about also writing another steampunk short story during July as well. Remember that one unnamed short story I've been posting snippets of on my blog? Well, it's done. And now I just want to write a bunch more and make a short story collection. If that happens, I miiiiight even open it up for beta readers. MAYBE. (By the way, my short story has a title now...and I sent part of it to an author for a critique. *dies* We'll see how that goes. o.o)

Aesthetic


aes// shadows. moonlight. velvet curtains. silver combs. white doves. lace. top hats. striped tents. cold metal. gilded mirrors. circus wagons. fog. stagecoaches. rosined bows. playing cards. waistcoats. buttons. phonographs. rain-streaked windows. clicking typewriters. smell of dust. 


This idea has just recently found its way to my brain, but I think that the plot is actually one of the most put-together ones I've concocted. (Note: plot is not my strong point normally.) I'm optimistic about this story, but we'll have to see how it plays out. It's kind of darker than my previous novels...but there will still be snark soooo yeah. ;)

Oh, and you can stalk my progress here, should you desire. I changed my username now, and I rather like it. *coughs*


What did you think of my synopsis? Do you enjoy writing synopses for your books? And are you entering the Five Poisoned Apples contest? YOU SHOULD. GO DO IT.

18 comments:

  1. Well this sounds thoroughly intriguing and enjoyable! I wish you all the luck in this endeavor. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS MARYYYYYYY. *flails for a thousand years* I am even MORE excited about BtVC (ha! it's official! it's been abbreviated!) than I was before. :DDDD Is it strange that I totally get the sense it's your best-plotted story so far too? Even though I haven't read any of your previous stories beyond a few snippets?

    Also that cover. *drools* And the Pinterest board. Gah. It's all so beautiful. All the best with Camp NaNo! If I didn't think the interaction (fun as it might be) would slow me down, I might actually consider doing Camp for the first time this year. But as it is, I need every spare minute to get my novel beefed up and somewhat polished before Realm Makers.

    Speaking of which... *tawdles off to do more writing*

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOODNESS.
    MARY.
    MARY HORTON.

    I read the synopsis to your Snow White retelling and jumped up from my computer and went flying down the hallway to scream to my sisters about Behind The Velvet Curtain because OH MY GOOD GRACIOUS. It sounds SO SO good!!! Seriously, I'm not kidding, I literally think this could win! I CANNOT wait for you to write it, girl! I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT IT. If this was an already published book by an author I didn't even know, I would still buy it. It looks THAT GOOD xD. *excitement levels for your story are still very very high*

    Best of luck with Camp, Glitter Queen! WE GOT THIS *highfive*.

    ~ Savannah @ Scattered Scribblings

    ReplyDelete
  4. That synopsis is beautiful! Sometimes I have fun writing a synopsis, other times it's a chore- but you have a real talent for writing them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good. I really hope you can win, Mary- this has serious potential! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm doing the Rooglewood contest too!! I can't believe so many people are doing it!! :) What's your word count goal? I keep changing mine.

    And THAT SYNOPSIS. Yesssssssss...

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOUR. BLURB. Seriously. O.o Mary, that was so good.

    This is so exciting! asdlfkdsfl I can't wait for snippets! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that's so cool! I love the idea, and goodness, your snippet sounds so... professional haha! I have heard a lot about the contest and Snow White recently - I am getting inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  9. O____________________O
    MARY
    GLITTER QUEEN
    HORTON.

    THIS. STORY.

    OH MY WOOOOOOOOORD.

    THERE....THERE ARE NO WORDS.

    THIS LOOKS LIKE ONE OF THE MOST EPIC, AMAZING, SPECTACULAR THINGS IN THE UNIVERSE. Like like like...AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    DAT SYNOPSIS. That is seriously one of the most professional synopses I've ever seen in my life. o.o No wonder you like writing them. YOU ARE A MASTER AT IT. But...AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Historical/steampunk/fantasy with circuses and magicians and SKDJF:LSJ:KJD:JKF. I've always LOVED eerie books that feature circuses or magicians or things like that. LOVE. And your story has it ALLLL. And I ADORE the name. It totally fits the slightly dark, mysterious tone you seem to be going for. I wouldn't change it for anything!

    AND WAIT. YOU'RE ENTERING THE ROOGLEWOOD CONTEST?????? *screams and flails for a million years* EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! Not only is this pure epicness, but it's a fairytale retelling???? THIS STORY IS LITERALLY ALL MY FAVORITE THINGS SMUSHED TOGETHER. MARY. This could totally win one of the spots in the contest! Like...this is SO goooooood!!!!!!!!

    I AM SO EXCITED RIGHT NOW I CAN'T.

    Also, you're thinking about making a short story steampunk collection? *DIIIIES*

    THERE IS SO MUCH EXCITEMENT GOING ON RIGHT NOW I'M GOING TO EXPLODE.

    Just...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really cool! I love magician stories. ^ ^ And that's so cool that you're making it a Snow White retelling! Best wishes on your project!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, I LOVE THIS.

    Your synopsis sounds so cool!!! Snow White in Victorian London? YES. PLEASE. AND THANK YOU.

    (Also, your Pinterest board excites me greatly :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  12. THIS SOUNDS AMAAAAZING!! And yay for you, entering the Rooglewood contest!! SO EXCITING!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE your aesthetic -- good luck! :)

    Hailey
    www.haileyhudson.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH MY GOODNESS THIS SOUNDS AWESOME!!!! I love love love the synopsis and the cover is amazing! Sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a good idea, Mary! And it's absolutely fun to hear (see? read?) you gush about this. Hope it turns out just as well as you want it to.

    teensliveforjesus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary, your story idea sounds so great!! :D GOOD LUCK WITH JULY CAMP NANO! *cheers*

    ReplyDelete
  17. That synopsis sounds completely professional and I WANT TO READ YOUR STORYYYY. (The Velvet Curtain one. And the other one. Alll of them.) *stalks NaNo stats* *and Pinterest board*
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete

Hey, look at you. You found the comments section. *applauds* So proud.

Now, if you're nice and keep your comment clean, I miiiiight just give you a cookie. *grins*